Tuesday, 3 November 2009

Cake Anyone?

Yes it's more cake, I need to start drawing other things. Cupcakes are so in fashion at the moment though and to be fair this is only a very small part of another much much bigger project. (which ISN'T all about cake) You will see at the end of the year!Anyway, as you can see (above) I have been practicing drawing things NOT using black line because usually I outline EVERYTHING. I'm quite pleased with some of the results :)These ones (above) do have black line. You can see the difference. I have been experimenting with it, seeing what looks better. I'd be grateful for any comments on this subject!

Have you ever been to Candycakes in London? It's an amazing cupcake shop! This is the window display there:They have flavours like lemon poppyseed and chocolate fudge and everything is brightly coloured- it's an explosion for your eyes! You get them in a box like this:(Actually to be honest the second time I had a cake from here it wasn't that great but I think it's worth going to just for the window display and colours. Its like Willy Wonka land!)

On that same day we also went to Fortnum and Masons in London and walked past a load of patisserie kind of shops:The window displays in Fortnum and Masons were wicked!Inside the shop though I was shocked to see they were selling OVEN ROASTED TARANTUALAS!!! They looked horrible! And also chocolate covered ants and scorpians inside lollies. Weird. Everything was already decorated for christmas. There were boxes of crackers for five HUNDRED pounds! Haha bit out of my price range!
Designer cupcakes, frog king cupcakes, halloween cupcake, flamingo cupcakes...

And here's another example of where I have been experimenting with not using black line. You can definitely see the difference where i have done the tray of hearts at the bottom with and without:I think I prefer the ones without black line. What do you think?

I promise my next post will not be as sickly as this one!

13 comments:

Carrie said...

You know, I like them both. :) I think it depends on what you're going for. The ones without the black line look more realistic, but the ones with it hold more weight.

Polly said...

On the last picture I think it looks better without the black line, but on the others I think they look better with black outlining. I also think it depends what style you are going for and what you are drawing. I love all your pictures in this post, they are gorgeous, and the Fortnum and Mason window displays look amazing. They did brilliant ones last year which were all based on the story of the Snow Queen. Very ethereal.

Stephanie said...

Hi! I tend to agree with Carrie. It depends on what you want to portray with your art. Personally I have always preferred the black line. It is called naive art. My earlier works in painting had black lines.

Love your work and enjoyed viewing these current ones. You are very talented!!

Victoria Stitch said...

thank you so much for the comments! Very helpful to me! wow I'd have loved to see the snow queen window displays!

Zoë Austin said...

Candy Cakes, oh yeah! I get the lemon poppy seed everytime.

Zoë Austin said...

Candy Cakes, oh yeah! I get the lemon poppy seed everytime. You should send them your illustrations or add them to the facebook fan group. You might get a few free vouchers, yum yum.

Siany said...

I love these! They are amazing! I do prefer the black line but think it's good to try something different every once in a while.

Micha said...

Awwww beautiful pictures! I can't get over how awesome your art is now.

Both with and without the black lines looks great - You manage to keep the innocent style without the lines which is pretty cool. My suggestion would be that if you were drawing a scene to do the background items without the lines and then the foreground with the black lines?

Love the champagne heart cake, yum! <3

Mike Schofield said...

love your work, and and I like cake so its win win! i like the black line drawings, the are so intricate!

Victoria Stitch said...

thankyou :)

Rachel said...

I love candycakes! Always try and resist when I go in there though.

These are great illustrations btw, you seem to have a panache for food illustration.

As for the outline conundrum, I think it works in different places. Sometimes delicate things need a darker outline to be picked out, however not everything needs it. A bold, large, colourful illustration doesnt need to be outlined in black, however the tiny hearts for example get a bit lost without the line.

If you're worried about the black being too harsh, start experimenting with using grey or slate coloured fineliners instead. It'll be less dramatic but still give definition when needed. :)

Smileyfreak said...

I like with and without the black lines :) Your a brill illustrator! I was in a cupcake shop called Valerie's Pattiserie *also in London lol* before and the cakes came in exactly the same kinda box as the one you drew :)

Indy Grrrl said...

Adorable!