Monday, 21 March 2011

Fairy Potions and Miniatura

This weekend I did a lot of driving!  Henry and I went up to Birmingham to see the Miniatura exhibition for business research (but mainly because I wanted to go and get some stuff for my castle.) And we also went to and from both Nottingham and Derby to see his family.  So a lot of hours in the car were spent.   It was alright because we had mini eggs and a moomin audiobook.

Here are a few of the things I bought at Miniatura...
Firstly was this pumpkin tea set.  It was love at first sight!  The tiny spout even has a proper spout hole!  They're totally hand made, the only problem is that I don't know who made them!  There were so many stalls and I got given so many cards that I'm afraid I can't remember at all!  If I did I would credit them.
Secondly, these tiny bottles of potions.  Actually the only thing I bought at Miniature here was the crystal ball and again I can't remember from who. (sorry!) However I do know that the poison ivy, blue glass bottle and hemlock were made by Thimblemins and that the poison with the skull and crossbones I found at Claires accessories surprisingly enough!  They were originally earrings.  
This was one of my favourite things- the poisoned mushrooms in the glass jar.  All these things were bought at Miniatura (and I'm really sorry but I don't remember who from yet again!)
 All these potions are going to be put in the potion room in my castle.  Well, when I finally get round to making and decorating it properly!

I'm quite proud of my photography skills in these photos.  I specifically tried to make them look good with an interesting background.  I spent the morning in the garden, crouched down making a table out of leaves.  I'm always envious of people who are able to take really good photographs to showcase things they've bought/seen/made.

So yes, Miniatura was good.  Afterwards we drove to Nottingham to visit Henry's Gran and I was finally able to take home the fairy that she had started making for me last summer.   
It's amazing because she has made all the clothes and the wings herself out of lace.  What I mean to say is that she has actually made the lace!  I watched some of it being done and it was quite confusing.  Millions of bobbins and bits of thread all being folded across each other in different combinations and pins stuck in everywhere. 

The fairy looks a lot better in real life, the photograph does not do her justice.  She's a lot more shiny and glittery.  I especially like her face because it reminds me of Little My from the Moomins.  She looks kind of cross and mischievous.  
I have hung her above my bed.

So anyway, that was my weekend.  It was a good one!  I hope yours was too!

6 comments:

We Blog Artists said...

Looks like you had fun shopping for your castle!
AND victoria I am LOVING your sketches for your book your working on!
HAPPY SPRING!!!
hugs
Char.x

Claire said...

Hello fellow miniature-lover ^^

You are indeed not alone in your love for all thing Thumbelina-sized; I have had my dolls house for 14 years and I never grow tired of it. My only wish is that I had more time and money for it, but that will have to wait for now!

I didn't even know there was a Miniatura show up in Brum - I LIVE here and I didn't know... wow, I need to get out of my cave.

Claire x

Lottie said...

oooh looks like fun!

Winnie said...

Oh my goodness, I think I'm obsessed with all this miniature goodness!

I can't wait to see those potions in their new home eventually!

Jessie said...

I didn't know there were miniature fairs, sounds really fun :) I love that fairy! She's quite a character isn't she?xx

Claire said...

I have nominated you for a Lovely Blog award. Small and humble it may be but it's jolly well deserved for being utterly splendiferous and a great read!

Cx