Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Child Characters Vs Adult Characters

Was drawing more children yesterday.  I really need to practice at it!  Being able to draw kids might be kinda useful if I want to be a children's book illustrator.

For some reason they all came out looking like ballet dancers...

I was thinking though, how necessary is it for the characters in a children book to be children?  Do you think children respond more to characters of their own age?

Personally I think using an adult character in a children's picture book can be just as successful as using a child character.

I remember LOVING Princess Smartypants by Babette Cole when I was little:
 well, I still love Princess Smartypants actually.  And Winnie the Witch by Valerie Thomas and Korky Paul:
and Tinkerbell:

and Raymond Briggs Father Christmas:
and Emma Thompson's Felicity Wishes:
and then of course there are all the traditional fairytales who have adult characters in them such as Snow White and Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and The Princess and the Pea:
These are just a few obviously successful children's story characters.  And they are all adults.  Or at least teenagers! In fact most of the characters mentioned above are from stories with no children in at all!  But children still love them.  Maybe they look up to them rather than identifying with them?  But maybe that's just as important?

What are your thoughts on this subject?  I'd be interested to know.  It's something I find very interesting.
Have a nice day! x

5 comments:

rachel awes said...

i love your drawings!
dear dear dear!
xo

Mai Kemble said...

these are awesome!!!
:)

Blue Eyed Night Owl said...

Maybe do a book about little ballerina's? That would solve it;)

I think it doesn't really matter, it's about the overall appeal of the character and not necessarily their age. Look at it as movie genres, just because I love a romantic comedy doesn't mean I can't love an action movie just as much. It just has to be good:)
Point is, they probably don't even have to relate to the character, they just have to like it or find it interesting and maybe relate to something in the story.

SparkleFarkle said...

A trail of Hansel-and-Gretelly breadcrumbs left by Vintage Kids' Books My Kids Love (Enjoyed your Dorie the Witch Books review guest-posted there!) led me to your delightful blog page, which is turning out to be better than a-deep-in-the-foresty house made of cake and confectionery!

Can't wait to give your "Follow" a cLiCkY-cLiCkY!

Jessie said...

That's an interesting thought! When you first posed the question I thought definitely children characters are best for a children's book but as long as the reader can identify with the character it works! I'm not so sure about the father christmas one though, I find it a bit creepy!xx