Monday, 26 September 2011

Nicholas Thomas the Naughty Kitten

Nicholas Thomas the Naughty Kitten is a book that I found in my Grandmothers house.  I think it was my mums when she was younger but now it is mine!  This summer I kind of re discovered it and my Grandmother said I could take it home and keep it. 
I just love everything about Nicholas Thomas.  He is a very endearing little kitten who is always getting himself into trouble.  The stories are written in a very appealing, old fashioned, comforting sort of style and the illustrations are also very appealing.
  'Mrs Tilly opened her nice green door and they were all there. Everybody.  The tabby kittens who lived next door (they were wrapped in red scarfs, very woolly); the little girl kittens who lived at the corner; and the kitten called Carrots, who was Sandy.  They were all the kittens Nicholas knew, and their noses were cold and pinky.'

 I love all the wrinkles on these cows below:
Does anyone else remember Nicholas Thomas?

15 comments:

Purpletreebird said...

No I don't remember him but I wish I did! The style reminds me of when I was young and because of that, they have a magical quality for me when I look at them. Thanks for showing it here.:)
Jess xx

vic said...

Nicholas Thomas was my absolute favorite as a child. I still have the copy, now very beaten up. My son loved it too. It was difficult to get anyone to read it too me; they all said it was too difficult! Lots of alleteration and his tail, curiously curled with questions! Fantastic stuff.

nan said...

Yes indeed! I've been missing Nicholas Thomas for years and am deetermined to hunt down a copy for myself now (age:late 60's!. The writing was enchanting and he was an adorable kitten. I especially remember he had a white mouse as a pet called Adolphus (I think!).

Nan

jackie said...

My mam gave me nicholas thomas books from when she was little they were my fave xx i loved the one in the sweet shop where he got stuck with toffee xx

Anonymous said...

Yes I remember having a Nicholas Thomas book in the 50s.

Gerry said...

I had the Nicholas Thomas book where he was in the sweetshop when I was small ( 50s)

Rosanna said...

I remember Nicholas Thomas too from the early '50s when I was about five. I insisted on naming our first cat (black and white) Nicholas Thomas and would not let anyone in the family shorten the name.
Rosanna

Helen L said...

I loved Nicholas Thomas as a child, and have been looking for the book for some time! Do you know who wrote it?
Helen

Helen L said...

I loved Nicholas Thomas when I was a child! Have been looking in vain for the book. Do you know who wrote it?
Helen

Victoria Stitch said...

It is by Kitty Styles, illustrated by Mary Kendal lee. I probably should have mentioned that in the post actually!

Rozzie B said...

Nicholas Thomas and the Waxworks Show was the first story book I remember laughing at for reason now lost to me 'Lor lummy, must be a dummy out of stock.' made the four year old i was curl up in amusement.

Olaf N said...

This book was a hand me down when I was a child in the 50's. It was one of my favourites then and I still covet that copy of Nicholas Thomas gets into Trouble now.

Olaf N said...

I was given Nicholas Thomas Gets into Trouble as a child in the 50's as a hand me down. I loved that story then, with the stoats and the big cats and the charabanc and I still have that copy. I have had the great pleasure to enjoy the company of cats all my life. The memory of those wonderful illustrations has never left me to this day. I am enjoying the memory of that childhood wonder even now.

Phil Hampson said...

I had the same book. Wish I could read it again now. Nicholas did have a friend/pet mouse called Adolphus .... "who said Squee". Loved it.

Anonymous said...

My favourite was when Nicholas was locked up in Jail and so he dug himself down to China. Excellent stories all of them.