Saturday, 21 January 2012

Exhibition! And other things...

Here's the link to the information about our upcoming exhibition in Foyles Bookshop in London.  8th to the 15th of February! I am overawed by the amount of amazing work created by my fellow students.  I'm sure you will be too!


Come!

I feel in a bit of a limbo at the moment.  I am basically trying to prepare and create work for the exhibition.  Any extra little bits that I can.  I keep flipping between drawing Victoria Stitch and doing general drawings that might look good in a portfolio!

Yesterday Henry and I went to town.  I was just browsing in Waterstones when I came across the drawing I did for Egmont in one of their young fiction books.  It's the picture of the guy holding up the Egmont Lucky coin. I felt rather proud I must say!  It's one of my first real proper commissions.  I think it's going to be in lots of their young fiction books.


Also whilst in town I went to to post office and bought some Roald Dahl/Quentin Blake stamps. They look awesome! How cool must it be to have your illustrations made into stamps!  I want to frame them in tiny frames and put them in my castle.  I think the Fantastic Mr Fox one is my favourite.


ALSO recently I have had a really good idea!  Well, I think it's a good idea.  This Christmas Eve me and my friends went round to my friend Brunos house.  It's kind of a tradition for us to meet up on Christmas Eve and do Secret Santa.  Anyway this year Bruno was very adamant that we all took it in turns to read 'The Night Before Christmas.'  I LOVE the 'Night Before Christmas' poem and so when Bruno suggested that I illustrate it for next years reading I was like YES!  I could imagine how I would do it in 3d with tiny coloured fairylights and glitter and things.  For some reason it really really attracted my imagination.  I think it's partly due to the fact that there are some really wonderful and evocative lines in that poem.  Like:

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads.

and,
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!


Anyway, THEN I thought how nice would it be if we all illustrated the poem as a personal project over the year.  So I suggested it to Sian and Dave and Bruno and Erin and they all said they would try and do it too.  In fact Dave has already finished his!  You can see it on his blog.

So watch this space for lots of different versions of 'The Night Before Christmas' come December.  (mine's going to take me all year to illustrate) And if you want to join in too drop me a comment! I'd love it if you did!


Hope you're having a nice weekend! Mine so far has been filled with walking up and down windy hills with the dog and tidying.  Last night Henry made  pie with a cat shape on it.

Love and Glitter

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I will be looking forward to see what you all come up with the Christmas theme. When do you finish school? Have a great weekend!

noelle said...

Wow, just found your blog, how fabulous your work is!!!