Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Les Tres Riches Heures de Mrs Mole

I'm sure by now you will have heard about the death of the great illustrator Ronald Searle which happened recently on the 30th of December.  I have always been a fan of his work so it was nice to see so many tributes to him on the internet.  They brought to light a lot of Searles work that I have never seen before.

'Les Tres Riches Heures de Mrs Mole' was something that particularly caught my eye.  (I'm sure it caught most peoples eyes so you probably know all about it already but I wanted to blog about it anyway because I found it so touching.)

'Les Tes Rches Heures de Mrs Mole,'  is a book of pictures that was never intended to be published.  Ronald Searle drew this pictures for his wife when she was undergoing treatment for breast cancer.  Every time she had a chemotherapy session he drew her a new picture of Mrs Mole. The pictures were intended to cheer her up and also to 'invoke the blissful future ahead.'

As soon as I discovered that these pictures of Mrs Mole had been compiled into a book I got straight onto Amazon and bought it right away!  It really is a beautiful little book.  The pictures are 'filled with light and illuminated in glowing colours, they are a moving testimony to love, optimism and hope.'

Also what really pleased me to find out was that Searles wife survived the cancer despite being told that she had only six months to live.  I'm sure this was helped by the positive influence of Mrs Mole!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you for enriching my mind with your info of all these interesting books I have never heard of. The illustrations are quite inspiring to see. I had wanted to be an illustrator for Children's books when I was younger.

We Blog Artists said...

Very lovely post...to honour a great illustrator...he, I'm sure will be smiling.
HUGS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Sorry, been crazy busy but have been meaning to pass by and say hello.
hugs
Char.x

Shirley said...

Wow!! What a wonderful post to read..thank you dear Victoria..I must search for this book too. Thank you!