Sunday, 26 February 2012

Snow White

 During the week of the exhibition I spent a lot of time in London.  And a looot of time in the bookshop Foyles (where the exhibition was)  Lucky for me I really love Foyles and could spend all day in there looking at books. The other great thing about it is that its just round the corner from my other favourite shop Forbidden Planet! Yes I am a geek. I love all that stuff.

So on Thursday (it was the day of the private view) I went into London early and popped into Forbidden Planet beforehand.

And what a surprise I had!  Oh I love it so much when this happens!  You walk into a shop just expecting to have a little mosey around when what do you see? A new book (that you didn't even know was coming out) by one of your favourite illustrators sitting on the shelf right in front of you!  In this case it was Camille Rose Garcia's Snow White.  I was so excited. I snapped it up right away!
This is such a beautiful book. I recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of goth. I just love the spiky characters, the stripes and the technicolours.  It's just fabulous fabulous fabulous!  I read the whole thing on the train going home from the private view.  It was one of those books that gave me a tight feeling in my throat because every page was just so wonderful! Camille Rose Garcia paints like no one else I have ever seen before!  I just love that wicked Queen's green and black striped hair.

Also as you can see, every page is so nicely designed even down to the font style and size and the borders and patterns round the pictures. Quite a lot of the writing and patterns are done in gold too. Very shiny!


The story by the way is the original Grimm's fairytale.  And it does have a rather Grim ending!  This isn't the sugarcoated disneyesque version of Snow White.

So yes, to cut a long story short I was as pleased as punch to find this little treasure!  I just had to share it with you.

Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Nora MacPhail said...

Wow! Your work is fascinating. Very imaginative.

Stephanie said...

Wonderful news. It looks like a good book to read and enjoy the visuals of wonderful illustrations.

Purpletreebird said...

Oh I lOVe it when I find something inspiring like this! Her (is Camille a girl's name?) illustrations remind me of yours!
Jess x

Sasha Fitzgerald said...

Those illustrations are fantastic! I will have to find this book (◕‿◕✿)