Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Just Being Audrey

 A few weeks ago I had a dentist appointment in London. It was at an annoying time (just before peak time started) which meant that I had to wait two hours before I could get a train home.

So with two free hours to spare what did I do on a random weeknight at rush hour? I went to Foyles of course and looked at the books!  If you've never visited the children's book section in Foyles then you really should.  it's so diverse and wonderful.  There are so many interesting children's books that you would never find in a big chain like Waterstones.

Anyway on this particular night my eye was caught by a very lovely book called 'Just Being Audrey.'

'Just Being Audrey,' is a beautiful book for kids, all about the life of Audrey Hepburn.  It is illustrated is soft pastel by the artist Julia Denos.  I think her drawings are perfect and she gets Audrey Hepburn just right!

Audrey Hepburn is always portrayed as such a glamorous and sophisticated woman (which she was!) so it is easy to think that her life was just about dressing up and wearing pearls and being photographed.  However 'Being Audrey' uncovers another part of her life which I'm not sure if a lot of people are aware of.  I certainly wasn't! Audrey Hepburn was in fact one of the first celebrities to use her fame in a good way.  She used it to 'shine a light on the impoverished children of the world through her work with UNICEF.'

'Being Audrey' is a beautiful book full of beautiful and glamorous drawings. It is a book about a person who is beautiful inside and out.  It also comes with a message: 'true kindness is the greatest measure of a person.'

I highly recommend this book to anyone!  It's wonderful and stylish and lovely.  Just like Audrey herself!


No comments: