Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone

Today I wanted to showcase two of my favourite illustrators of all time!  My Grandmother used to have one of their books and often I would disappear upstairs whenever I went to her house so that I could go and look at it.  It was a book of nursery rhymes and absolutely beautifully illustrated. That book is now mine! :) (my grandmother gave it to me after graduating)


Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone were twin sisters.  I think it is amazing how they both worked on the illustrations together, passing them back and forth until they were both pleased with the outcome.  I could never imagine working with someone else on a picture and being satisfied with it...

I always loved those two little fairies down in the corner here.
Anyhow, I am lucky that I now have a few more of their books. So I have lots more of their illustrations to look at! And I often do get them out and look at them.  I just love the detail and stylization in the pictures.  I find them very inspiring.

This was my favourite picture in the Nursery Rhyme book.
Nursery Rhymes again. Love the colours!
Couldn't get all this picture in the scanner. Hansel and Gretel
The Water Babies
Peter Pan
 Bye! xox

6 comments:

Mai Kemble said...

wow... these are gorgeous!

Tammie Lee said...

thank you for sharing these illustrations with us, they are wonderful as can be!

Polly said...

I love their illustrations too! I actually collected a load of old fairy tale books just for the illustrations, but I left them behind at my mum's when I moved out. I'm thinking I might have to reclaim them now...

Stephanie said...

They are adorable fairies, wonderful illustrations. You can now have a peek at my painting on my blog.

Kim said...

Great post! I absolutely adore their illustrations and collect their books.

I have that same nursery rhyme book, it is almost 40 years old now and still in pretty good condition.

I did a tribute to Anne and Janet on my blog if you're interested. :)
http://flufflepot.com/2012/05/a-tribute-to-janet-and-anne-grahame-johnstone/

Nice to see someone else appreciating their beautiful artwork.

Kim

Veronica said...

I replied to your comment over on my blog, but just in case you don't see it, thank you so much for posting this link - so many childhood memories seeing these again! Fabulous!!! I must ask my mum to dig out the books - 'hark, hark the dogs do bark' was another favourite!