Friday, 28 September 2012

Ferdie and the Falling Leaves

I did promise in my 'Leaves' post that I would review two autumn themed books. So here's the second one!

I first discovered Ferdie and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson whilst I was at uni in Norwich.  I used to spend a lot of time in the book shops in Norwich poring over the children's books. It was a bit of an escape for me to be honest- uni wasn't all that great. I remember seeing Ferdie and the falling Leaves for the first time and immediately loving Tiphanie Beeke's warm soft illustrations.  I had not seen illustrations like them before. I remember thinking her style was quite unusual and fresh at the time. I am guessing they are done using pastel (a medium I can never master) but I'm not entirely sure.

The story is about a young fox called Ferdie who gets terribly worried when the leaves start falling off his favourite tree.  He gets even more concerned when other animals begin to take the fallen leaves away. The squirrel takes them for his nest, the hedgehog takes them to keep warm.  Poor Ferdie does not understand about Autumn- That is, until he wakes up one morning to find his tree covered in a beautiful coating of glittery ice.
'You are more beautiful than ever,' whispered Ferdie to the tree made of ice. 'Can the Squirrel and the hedgehog keep your leaves for the cold winter nights?'

A tiny breeze shivered the branches, making a sound like laughter, and in the light of the rising sun the sparkling branches nodded.'



I just think this is a beautiful book (especially for this time of year.) And the cherry on the cake is that the last page which has the picture of the icy tree on it is actually embossed with glitter! So it really does sparkle.  I can never resist a bit of sparkle.

4 comments:

Jess said...

It's so lovely! The illustrations make me feel so warm and cosy, a perfect story book. :) I think the technique is drybrush on perhaps a textured paper?
BTW I hated uni too! ;)
Jess xx

Tammie Lee said...

thank you for sharing this book. the illustrations look charming and the story as well. i love when ice crystals grow on my forest trees....

The Dainty Dolls House said...

What a gorgeous sounding book, I love that :)) And the sparkle page is super. Thanks so much for visiting doll...I enjoy your blog :)) Hope you have a beautiful weekend xx

Sarah Mcdougal said...

I love your blog!! Your illustrations are so lovely. I am a new follower and was hoping that you would return the favor. Hop on over to: www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com, read me, follow me if you like what you read! That'd be SUPER! (Yes, I did just say super.)

:-)

Positively,
Sarah