Saturday, 22 September 2012

Leaves

I can't believe how autumny it's suddenly become! I only went to Turkey for a week and when I got back I discovered it wasn't summer anymore. I'm not too sad though as I really love the turn of the seasons.  The days are getting shorter, there's a nip in the air and all the leaves are beginning to turn brown.  It's making me feel a bit Christmassy although I probably shouldn't mention the C word just yet!

Anyway, I thought I'd share a couple of my favorite Autumnal picture books with you!


First up is 'Leaves' by David Ezra Stein.  I was lucky enough to be sent this book a few months ago and it is really beautiful and expressive.  I just love the way the drawings are so loose- you really get a feel for the movement of the leaves being blown about in the gusty wind. 


The story follows a little bear who is in his first year.  He has never seen autumn before and when the leaves start falling off the trees he wonders if they are ok.  He tries to put them back on the tree but it is not the same.  Then he starts to feel sleepy and so finds a hole, fills it with leaves and goes to sleep. He sleeps snugly all winter and then wakes up in the springtime. 'Welcome!' he cries to the spring.  'And, he thought, the leaves welcomed him.'


It's a simple story but works very well as a charming introduction to the seasons. 

4 comments:

Jeca Martinez said...

that's such a cute story! and yes the illustrations are beautiful as well :D thanks for sharing! :)

Stephanie said...

The story bought a smile to my face. I agree with you, the leaves do flow loosely on the page. Thanks for sharing this book with us.

Emille said...

Glad I found you on Stephanie's blog! Love this story:)

Teddi said...

these drawings are absolutely darling! i've never seen this book before. it looks delightful. :)