Tuesday, 9 October 2012

A Woggle of Witches

Here come Halloween picture book number two!


I'm not sure how well known this book is in America (from what I've gathered on the internet it seems to be quite well known) but I'm pretty sure it's not one that a lot of people have seen in England. I had never come across it before until a few months ago anyway. 

This book was a case of have-to-buy-it-immediately after I first discovered it.  I love anything a bit spooky and witchy and this book ticked all the boxes.  Broomsticks? yes, pointy hats? yes, dark spiky forest? yes, big round yellow moon:? YES!

I would describe this book as visually poetic.


I love the way all the witches look identical and swoop around in formation like synchronized swimmers. Synchronized witches!

the story follows the witches as they wake up in their forest hammock beds, have a feast and then fly off into the sky where they swoop around for a bit. Then they happen to bump into some children dressed up as Halloween monsters:

'Let's get out of here!' they cry
All quivering and quaking ,
they leap on their brooms,
and slant towards the sky.

Have you ever come across this book before? I'm so glad I did!

2 comments:

Plushpussycat said...

These witches remind me of crows, the way they hang out in the tree and fly around in formation. This is a fun one! xo Jennifer

Miranda Ixie said...

What a fun book! I've never seen it, but then I've not seen most of the titles you've shown here. You have awesome taste in books! Also, Celestine is adorable. Looking forward to more of your posts, book recommendations and Celestine's adventures!