Sunday, 28 October 2012

Celestine's New House, Pumpkin Food, and Witch's Hats!

Do you like Celestine's new Halloween house?

She's been wearing her black cape a lot these past few days too. It keeps her warm seeing as the weather has suddenly taken such a cold turn. 


Last night Henry and I had our Pumpkin dinner party. This dinner party has been planned for a long time- ever since Henry was given some pumpkin seeds to grow by one of his friends.  For months I collected pumpkin themed recipes on Pinterest in anticipation of the event.  

Basically we wanted to see if we could create a meal where every single course, including appetizers, included pumpkin- the pumpkins we have spent months growing and which I posted a picture of in my last post.

This is what we came up with:

For the appetizer we created a pumpkin dip which I thought was delicious (but Henry wasn't so keen on) I can't really explain what it tasted like (it was full of yoghurt and pumpkin (obviously) nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and whipped cream) but what I can say is that it had a very refreshing taste! It was nice with apple slices and seemed to go down well with the guests.

We also made some pumpkin crisps but to be honest they were pretty horrible.


For the starter we made pumpkin soup and savoury pumpkin bread which both turned out really well!  The bread was really crisp on the outside and nice and soft on the inside.  By the time we went to bed it was all gone!


For the main course we decided to make pumpkin ravioli. This was the most fiddly part of the meal and the bit which took the longest to make.  Henry was the one who made this and when he gave me a bit of the ravioli filling to try (it had roasted pumpkin, amaretti biscuits, breadcrumbs, Parmesan and fennel seeds in it) I thought it was disgusting! I mean who puts crushed up amaretti biscuits in pasta?!  So naturally I was a bit worried about this part of the meal. I was completely prepared for the ravioli to taste horrible but... it was delicious! I loved it.  It obviously made a difference once it was cooked and covered with a sage and lemon butter sauce. 


To end the meal we had a choice of three puddings.  This was mainly because one of our guests was allergic to nuts and we didn't realise this until we had already made the first pudding (a pumpkin praline cheesecake) so we had to make another nut free one.  And then I wanted to make some sort of pumpkin and chocolate pudding anyway because I just love chocolate. Also the ravioli left us with eight egg whites so we thought we had better use them up in some way, so voila! A pumpkin meringue pie!


So that was our pumpkin dinner party!  We all dressed up a little bit as well.  I wore my new witch's hat which Henry bought for me the other day. I saw it in a shop last year and really wanted it but didn't buy it so then bought it this year instead! It's purple satiny with feathers and a black netting veil and a rose on it. A fancy witch's hat! For fancy occasions!

Here's a photo of me modelling it and next to it is the same hat in green!  I absolutely love this colour green- it's one of my favorite colours actually, but I never wear green and it doesn't suit me as much which is why I chose purple instead. 


I have seen a lot of different witch's hats around this year.  Starry, stripy, scraggy, spiderwebby... 

I drew a few of my favourite ones I have seen out and about:

Also before October is over (I can't believe it, where has the time gone?)  I have to just give a mention to these amazing little pumpkin fairylights we bought a while back.  Amazing, becasue they were only one pound!  From the pound shop.  And I have already used them so many times in photoshoots, for decorating the dinner table etc.  Celestine likes them too.


Aren't they nice and glowy orangy?

Well that's all for now, I'll be back before the end of October with my final Halloween children's picture book review, It's a good one! And also once I've worked out what's wrong with my blogger account- there's something not quite right here and it took me hours to just upload this post!... hmm

Have a spooky week!

9 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

Wow, what a feast! Yum, those lucky guests! Even the photos are a delight to see.

Love Celestine's house and the sketch of her is adorable. As are you in your new hat, I never realized that Celestine looks like your beautiful daughter ;-) I do see a similarity.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great feast, love the drawings.

Plushpussycat said...

Celestine's pumpkin house is incredible! And the photos of your pumpkin dinner are making my mouth water. Beautiful hat too! Another lovely post, Victoria Stitch!

Vicky Lovejoy said...

I'm in love with Celestine's pumpkin house, what a wonderful creation and she looks so cosy and warm in her lovely cloak :)
Your pumpkin dinner party was such a wonderful idea, all the food looks so amazing and I love your hat :)
hugs ♥ Vicky ♥

A tale from toadstool house said...

Good morning Harriet,what a treat to wake up to on a cold ,wet and windy day...
~I love Celestines Pumpkin,its very fairytale and the spooky trees :)
Your pumpkin dinner looks so yummy,especially the ravioli. I adore your new witchy hat,You look beautiful in it,love the green one too.
Its such a shame October has to end,I've loved reading all of your witchy/halloween/pumkin posts :(
Looking forward to the next book review...
Have a wonderful day,love juliexxx

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Just wonderful...all of it looks delicious!! Gorgeous pictures and love the hat :)) xx

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness me that pumpkin feast has my mouth watering, it looks soooooo yummy.

Also, I'd love a witches hat like that, it's gorgeous.

Erin K said...

Oh I just love Celestine's little pumpkin house...just so cute.

All the photo's of your feast made me hungry! *laughs* And opened my eyes that pumpkin can go way beyond just pie. Mmmmm...yummy!

Your hat is gorgeous, such a great post. ^_^

Jess said...

What a lot of pumpkin cooking. :) If I get as far as making a pumpkin soup I feel rather pleased with myself! You have very lucky guests! I love your drawings of the witches hats you've seen. Brilliant fairy light too!
Jess xx