Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Dorrie and the Halloween Plot

And now, on Halloween itself here comes my final Halloween picture book review...


If you've followed this blog for a while then you will know that the books in the Dorrie series by Patricia Coombs are my top favourite picture books ever of all time! They are about a little witch who lives in Witchville with her mother the Big Witch and her black cat Gink. 

In this particular story, Dorrie and the Halloween Plot, (which is especially appropriate for today I might add) Dorrie wakes up and jumps out of bed in an extremely exciteable mood.


'Gink,' said Dorrie, 'it's Halloween!  Last Halloween Mother said she'd give me a flying lession this Halloween!'

However, Dorrie's mother is too busy to give flying lessons.  She is occupied with sewing costumes for the Halloween Pageant which is to be held in honour of the Sorceress.  She tells the disappointed Dorrie that she is to be a princess in the Pageant.

'A LITTLE PRINCESS! Oh no!' cries Dorrie.

Of course once the Big Witch has left for the pageant Dorrie can't resist trying out a little broomstick flying by herself. And so the trouble starts!  Dorrie realises that flying a broomstick is harder than she thought and ends up getting stuck in a  tree. However this turns out to be quite a good thing as she ends up overhearing a gang of Halloween Demons plotting to kidnap the Sorceress and steal the Book of Shadows. 


Because Dorrie is dressed in her princess outfit which includes a mask with ringlets attached to it, the Demons think she is a doll and plan to use her as a replacement dummy for the kidnapped sorceress...

....and so it goes on...

And as you might guess, Dorrie saves the day!

 I just love Patricia Coomb's drawings, and I especially love the way they are done using only black and white and two colours.  Just beautiful.

And on another note here's a HAPPY HALLOWEEN from Victoria Stitch!

7 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

This book looks marvellous, I adore things like that :) Happy Halloween! xx

Plushpussycat said...

Thanks for the fantastic book review, Victoria. I love your drawing the best. That bunny with the striped ears has captured my heart! Happy Halloween! xo Jennifer

Jennifer said...

Some of my happiest childhood memories are of reading Dorrie books in the children's section of my town's library. Now, I am happy to own some library cast-off editions of Dorrie. In fact, I read my 6-year-old daughter to sleep last night with "Dorrie and the Halloween Plot." :)

Vicky Lovejoy said...

Wonderful book!! Patrica coombe's drawings are lovely!!
Your drawing is amazing, I really love it!!
Hugs and happy halloween
Vicky ♥ ♥

cristina said...

I love all your work!

Tammie Lee said...

your Celestine drawing is wonderful!
Love the illustrations in this book as well. Thank you for sharing the books that you love, i find them all to be wonderful!

Erin K said...

What a cute book...I love the illustrations too. I'll have to see if this book is in Canada, I'd love to look at it up close. This brings back fond memories of some of the books I had as a child. I would love to find and stare at all the little hidden details the artist would put in.