Friday, 12 October 2012

Halloween costumes and some drawing

Celestine has been thinking a lot about her Halloween costume lately so we drew up some ideas.  Here she is modelling an array of spooky outifts:

My favourite is the cat costume. Which is yours?

I also did a 3d version of the cat costume to see how it would turn out:


I have discovered a new love for pencil over this last year or so. I used to always outline everything in black pen but now I'm finding that whenever I go over a pencil drawing in black pen it seems to lose its charm and liveliness a bit. It's all very well but it leaves me in a bit of a conundrum about how to colour drawings in.  Putting colour on pencil drawings doesn't seem to work either. Hmm.

Anyway here are another couple of drawings. They were done on Tuesday at a drawing session that I like to go to. I find it's good for helping me to keep practicing- otherwise I find I just never get round to drawing actual things that aren't stylized or from my head! 


The black line one took me about a fifth of the time the pencil one did! Black line has always been my default medium. I think that is starting to change now though... I love the depth you can create with shading. I know it is possible to create that too with black line but i really love the way pencil can be reeeeally soft or really quite dark and black. I like the way you can make things look very wispy and ghostly with a pencil. Also I like that the line is variable- something you can't get with a fine liner pen.

Anyway that's all for now. At some point today I am going to try and make one of the Halloween costumes in real! Miniature size of course.  I tried to make one last night, a red and black witches tutu (which I will show you soon!) and now there are trails of tiny black tulle triangles all over the house.  There's something about tulle, tiny bits of it kind of grab on to your clothes and then drop themselves everwhere...

6 comments:

goudenregen said...

Lovely costumes! The tutu is very elegant, I also like the pumpkin, but I think Celestine thinks it will make her fat. I think it is very clever that she has her eyes closed sometimes!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Love the witch one, they are fantastic, she's very sweet :) x

Blue Eyed Night Owl said...

These are so cute! My absolute favorite is the third one from the top row.

And your pencil drawings look great. Sometimes it's nice to change things up a bit. I like both of your techniques, but I agree, there is more depth and warmth in the ones with pencil.

Look forward to seeing her costumes:D

blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

I personally like the witch costume. Love your detailed drawings.

millefeuilles said...

I have just stumbled across your blog via Jessie Lilac - who I am very fond of - and I LOVE IT! Your talent is inspiring an charming.

Yes, I do like the cat costume although I also have a soft spot for the pumpkin costume; I have a thing about vegetation incorporated into dress: a little like Fairyality, for example.

Have a beautiful weekend from your newest follower.

Stephanie

Tammie Lee said...

i love all your versions of Celestine, so charming and witty of you! i love how you have her character down, meaning you can draw her in many poses, that is wonderful!

i love pencil art and yours is wonderful to see. line art is grand too, just very different. there is something special about being good with a pencil.