Friday, 5 October 2012

Su Blackwell: The Fairy-Tale Princess

One word: WOW!


Yesterday Henry and I went to Oxford partly because Henry has never been to Oxford before and I wanted to show it to him, and partly to see my Grandmother who lives there.  One of my favourite things to do in Oxford is visit Blackwells bookshop because I always discover something new and exciting in there when I go.  This time was no exception!

I have been a fan of Su Blackwell's work for some time.  I am as you know very interested in 3d/photographed illustration and she does it so beautifully.  I am always charmed and amazed by her paper sculpted scenes.  When I saw this book sitting on a shelf in Blackwell's bookshop my jaw literally dropped.  I had no idea that she had illustrated a picture book! All I had ever seen of her work before were isolated pictures on the internet.  I was entranced!

Here are just a few little scenes from it. There are bigger, double page scenes in the book too but they wouldn't fit in my scanner...


'The Fairy-Tale Princess is a lovely, heavy, 96 page, illustrated book.   It features seven fairy-tale princess stories: Cinderella, The Frog Prince, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, The Princess and the Pea, Snow White, Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty.

It's a fascinating book. I was lucky to be able to take it home with me yesterday as my bank account is still recovering from Turkey so Henry bought it for me for Christmas instead. He's taken it away again now (boo!) so I will have to wait until Christmas to look at it again.

So yes that's that.  I wasn't expecting to review any books that wern't Halloween-y this month but I couldn't resist this one!

We had a lovely time in Oxford. Henry liked it as I thought he would.  We both said that we would be quite happy to live near Oxford sometime in the future. It is a beautiful city.  Have you ever been there?

Above is the Radcliffe Camera and below that is a replica of it we saw in a shop window- made of cake!

We stopped in for a cup of tea at my Grandmother's house before we went home. She got out some photo albums and we looked at lots of old pictures. It was very interesting. I especially enjoyed seeing a picture of my Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather who I don't think I ever even met. It's funny seeing pictures of people you are blood related to so far in the past and who you never even saw- especially if they are a direct line to you.

On the right is my Grandfather who lives in America and the other two are his parents, so my Great Grandparents.  The one on the left, my great Grandfather was Claude Muncaster who was a real proper, sort of famous artist! here's one of his paintings. He liked painting boats.


Anyway that's enough for now I think! Hope you have a good day! xox

6 comments:

Rosemary Shojaie said...

Once upon a time I used to think cutting up pages of books bordered on blasphemy, but I really love Su Blackwell's work, it's so delicate and charming! And I had no idea about your great-grandfather's paintings...anyone who loves the sea, boats and ships deserves a fair amount of respect in my opinion :)

Jess said...

Wow that's an incredibale painting of your great grandfather's! I've been to Oxford loads of times. It's an epensive place to live but I love going there, especially to visit the Pitt Rivers museum. have you been there? :)
Jess xx

Tammie Lee said...

how wonderful that you have an artist in the family.

somehow it seems quite fitting for a fairy tale princess to be made of paper ;-)
such beautiful magical art. thank you for sharing!

Plushpussycat said...

Ooh, the 3D illustrations are fantastic! Seeing these photos gives me lots of inspiration. So, you have art in your genes--how fortunate you are! xo Jennifer

Stephanie said...

I see where you got your artistic talent from. The painting is gorgeous! I love the illustrations on that book you picked up. I do admire 3D illustrations. I used to have a collection of pop up books. At the architecture in Oxford is magnificent! I have never been to England, hope to get there one day to visit my ancestors in Wales.

Blue Eyed Night Owl said...

This is incredible! Especially the image with the bath tub.
And at least this way you know for sure you'll get a great Christmas present;)

Thanks for sharing that old picture too. I always love snapshots from that era. Especially if I hear the story behind it.

blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/