Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Vampire Boy's Good Night

As you will probably know by now, I have a great love for children's books.  I especially love halloweeny/spooky/gothic children's books and I thought it would be nice to showcase some of my favourites here this October, in the lead up to Halloween.

Let's start with Vampire Boy's Good Night by Lisa Brown.


I discovered this book one day in London whilst browsing in Foyles book shop and immediately fell in love with it.  I just adore the illustrations. To me they are spooky but also comforting- kind of like the Addams family!


The story follows the little vampire boy called Bela who goes with his witch friend Morgan to see if children are real.  They stumble across a load of children having a halloween party and who are all of course dressed up. This leaves Bela and Morgan wondering 'are they REAL children?'...

Don't you just love the atmosphere and detail in these pictures?  The sun going down behind the black spindly gate, the endearing little vampire waking up in his coffin, the sleepy butler with a plaster on his neck....  definitely one of my favourite halloween picture books I own!

What are your favourites? I am always really excited for recommendations of children's books I may not have heard of!

6 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

this looks like a wonderful book
and
yes i love the illustrations and details

i do not have any halloween books! so no favorites...

Francesca Giusti said...

love this book and also your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
kisses
http://francescagiusti.blogspot.com/

Kerri-Ann Hulme said...

Thanks for sharing this book! It's lovely, I want it :)

Kerri-Ann Hulme said...

Thanks for sharing this book! I really want to own it now :)

Plushpussycat said...

I'm still learning about children's books. I'm reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle these days. I love Beatrix Potter, Richard Scarry, The House That Mouse Built, The Lonely Doll, and vintage 1930s to 40s picture books. I look forward to seeing more of your favorites. xo Jennifer

Liz Wong said...

My favorite Halloween picture book is Ghosts in the House by Kazuno Kohara. It's a charming story with simple illustrations.