Sunday, 18 November 2012

a jumble of things...

The other night I said to Henry 'Why did I choose to be an illustrator? It's such a lonely profession.'  He replied 'you didn't choose it. It's a vocation.'

This is true.  I didn't really think about it that way before.  I can't actually imagine myself doing anything else or at least being as good at anything else.  And after five and a half years of university it would be silly to not use the skills i have developed.  But even so I've been struggling a bit lately with 'being an illustrator.'

The two main things I find difficult are: working from home and working alone.  Its so haaard! I find myself so jealous of people who get to leave the house and go to an office to work! However I am looking into a few little side jobs that will get me out of the house but they are taking a while to get started...

Anyway I didn't want this to be a rant or anything I just wondered if there were any illustrators out there who feel the same? And what do you do to balance out your home/work/social life without becoming a crazy hermit? I guess I'm still quite new to this full time illustrator thing...

Anyway enough about that. Here's a drawing I did the other day at the drawing class I go to on a Tuesday morning:


And here's some pictures of where I went in London the other day.  Mainly of Fortnum and Masons. I absolutely love that shop! I think it's my favourite shop ever! The carpet is so plushy, the air smells so nice, the things to buy are all so nicely displayed and packaged. it is a shop of luxury! I can just walk around there gazing at everything.  I love the chocolate counters and the posh desserts all displayed behind their glass cabinets. I especially love it at Christmastime when there are baskets full of glittering baubles and trees covered in fairy lights at every twist and turn.  Those red crackers I took a photo of below were 500 pounds!!!

I love it!

And now (I did say this was a bit of a jumble) here are some photos I meant to post a while back of the fabrics and amazing tiny buttons  I got in Derby the other weekend.  Too cute not to share!


I look forward to using it all. I'm sure all those scrap fabrics will be very useful in my future 3d illustrations. or maybe for Celestine. Who knows!

And here's Celestine (channeling some French vibes!) sitting on top of some salt and pepper pots yesterday. I took a little trip to visit my friend and we went to this nice little cafe place for lunch. They had some really nice food there- sweet potato gratin, chocolate truffle tart  (yum) lamb wrap with hummus etc... it's making me hungry thinking about it all.  I was lovely to see my friend and we had an interesting conversation about being passionate about stuff but that's a topic for another post!



And now finally I just want to mention that today marks the day of mine and Henry's three year anniversary-  and it's been such a wonderful three years together.  I look forward to many more! :)  Tonight we are going out to dinner to celebrate (which reminds me I need to go and get ready!) So I'd better stop writing and go!  Bye for now!


7 comments:

Anna said...

Well, I'm not an illustrator but I'm a musician. Our work is too lonely, the part when you are practising alone in a room. I sometimes begin to wonder if any of the things I do have any idea, or am I actually just imaging things here alone and doing something crazy! But I think it helps to meet other "normal people" once in a while, it clears the head :) These moods pass, and then I realise I have the best job in the world; it just takes something and then gives a lot. I can't properly explain this in English and you wouldn't get the Finnish one any better ;) Anyway your works are great, Harriet!

Vicky Lovejoy said...

Happy three year anniversary!! I think you and Henry are such a lovely couple and you look so perfect together!!I can understanding why you find it hard working from home full time. I always think it would be perfect to be able to work at home part time and part time out in an office. But I think it sounds like you're finding a nice balance with your blog and the odd trip out with freinds and of course you have lovely Celstine for company :)
Hugs ♥ Vicky ♥

Sharon Souter said...

Aren't we humans funny creatures! I would love to be able to work from home without having to trundle into an office every day. I also wish I'd had the courage of my convictions like you and followed an artistic career when I was young. Your illustrations is fab - I love all the detail you put in. Congtats as well on your anniversary - the two of you look so happy together!

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the three years.

I am not an illustrator, but an artist. I paint alone in my studio with music to keep me company. I prefer it that way. We do have painting groups here in town, don't like painting with others as I find it distracting. I go on photo shoots sometimes with the camera club because by then I crave the socializing, talking and sharing ideas in photography.

I find your shops in England so very interesting and so different from here. One day my husband and I will have to get to the UK for a visit.

Try to get into other things with people on the side so that when you return to the drawing board of your work won't feel so lonely. I love Celestine's red knitted purse. And that drawing you did is so precious!

Plushpussycat said...

Celestine looks adorable, as usual. And you and Henry make a sweet couple--congrats on three years! I'm with Vicky--part-time at home and part-time out is a good mix for me. I create and design at home, and then I market and deliver my greeting cards away from home, in shops. I find that it's a good balance for me. xo Jennifer

Ms. Dainty Doll said...

You look wonderful. Happy 3 year anniversary to you both!! Working from home can be lonely sometimes, but being in an office can be just as stressful and your doing a fantastic job :) Love your work!! xx

Tammie Lee said...

i am happy for your happiness together, the photo of you two makes me smile!

thank you for sharing all the lovely goodies you found while wandering stores. so fun to see.

working at home suits me fine. I have done that most of my life. for me it is having wonderful people to do things with when i am not working.

i am sure you will find your way.