Thursday, 17 January 2013

Castles and Carousels

Hello everyone!

Here's another bit of a jumble post- can't seem to keep up with blogging very much at the moment.  I've been too busy which I guess is a good thing but I miss documenting things regularly... there don't seem to be enough hours in the day! 

But anyway, better late than ever here are a few snippets of what's been going on around here lately. 

Firstly have a look at Celestine's Christmas Presents.  How lucky she was this year. Santa did good!


-Firstly there was the easel from Sian.  This was a great surprise! 
-Then there were the little skittles that came out of Sian's cracker. (Thanks again Sian!)
-Next we have the tiny red jumper which was made by Sanna at Sweetneat.
-And then the tiny china mushroom ornament which I found in Oxford a while back.
-Under the easel is the miniature reindeer I made.
-And then next to that is the beautiful necklace I bought at Miniatura last year. Made by Ursula Sturmer.
-Next to that are the two necklaces from Henry that came as part of the engagement. Along with the -pair of scissors on the right.
-That little pink heart is actually a miniature block of post it notes. Real ones!
-And then along the bottom is a multicoloured scarf made by me. I'd really love to get some smaller -needles and thinner wool though so I can knit some really tiny things. 
-Oh and a little lindt bear to top it all off!


Then there was one more very exciting present- which was actually my present...

A miniature carousel!!!


It actually works. It goes round and round and the horses bob up and down and the lights flash on and off.  There are also lots of different songs to choose from- Christmas songs and all year round songs.  It's my childhood dream come true!  It's actually made to be a Christmas decoration but it works just the same as a miniature carousel.

Celestine hopped on it immediately!

I just love it! I hope it lasts forever!

In other news I have decided on another New Years resolution:

I have decided that this IS going to be the year when I finish decorating my castle!

This was the last time I wrote about my castle and to be honest not much has changed since then except I have done a tiny bit of painting on the turrets and wallpapered the front panels. 

Basically the deal with this castle is that I begged and begged for it for Christmas about seven or eight years ago when I was still at school.  My parents gave in and got it for me for Christmas. Then just before Chrsitmas that year I got my first boyfriend and all thoughts of castles or dollhouses went out of my head for a good few years!  I was so embarrassed that I had been given this castle for Christmas that year that I never even told the boyfriend.  When he asked me what I got for Christmas I was like 'umm... just stuff, you know, the usual kind of stuff...' I stored it in the attic and it didn't see the light of day until I decided to get it out again three years later! And then I built a bit of it and then forgot about it again for another few years! I did feel a bit bad for my parents who kept asking me when I was going to build/decorate it... oops.  

ANYWAY that's all passed now and as you can see my love for miniature things has returned with a vengeance.  To be honest I think the main problem with this castle is that I actually hate building and doing all the boring stuff like lighting and putting in screws and hinges etc... but it must be done!  And this will be the year!

This is the current state of the castle.  It sits on a dresser in my bedroom full of random stuff:


Ideally I want Celestine to live in it.  I also want to put stairs into it. It came without stairs for some reason but if Celestine is going to live there then she needs stairs!  Otherwise how will she get from room to room?

So yes operation finish castle must start soon!  I have decided to do it in any spare time that I have. I would LOVE for it to be finished for Christmas so that it can have a Christmas tree in it and a wreath on the door etc...  Or maybe to put on display for my wedding... We will have to see.

Also this Christmas my Grandmother gave me an adapter set so I was finally able to light the miniature chandelier (and a lamp I got given) that I have been hoarding for my castle for about two years. It's a beautiful crystal chandelier. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's properly inside the castle. Ideally I would like to get enough of them to have one in each room but they are quite expensive.  I know what I will be putting on my birthday list this year!


And now here's a small peek at what I have been up to illustrating-wise so far this year.  I am not sure if I should should put these on my blog but they're only snippets so I assume it's ok...

Lots of glitter so I'm happy!


Other things that have happened so far this year: We ate up another one of our pumpkins from October and made Pumpkin Fettuccine with this recipe which was yum. We went to a very eccentric neighbour's new years party and looked round his house which was like a house I have never seen anything like before! I did lots of sketching of spreads.  We had a big family party as we didn't get to see them on Christmas day. We invited friends over and had a wii gaming night with pizza and chocolate. We booked a wedding venue! I held the first session of my after school kids craft club- nerve wracking but brilliant!...  I also seem to keep losing and breaking things this month which is annoying.  Expensive, important things that I am having to buy replacements of... :S but never mind. Hopefully this run of losing-things-bad-luck will end soon...

ANYWAY that's quite enough narcissistic rambling and present boasting for one night!  I hope you are having a good start to 2013! And hopefully not losing and breaking things like me! Did you get anything really exciting for Christmas?

X

8 comments:

Plushpussycat said...

Wow! Celestine looks amazing on that carousel! And I never knew about the castle. That chandelier is totally gorgeous. I'm really looking forward to watching your progress on the castle. I'll be building my farmhouse at the same time--fun! Thanks for the update. xo Jennifer

Ms. Dainty Doll said...

Those are wonderful...love carousels!! And the little scarf is adorable!! Hope you are doing well sweets & wish you a great weekend xx

The Dainty Dolls House

A tale from toadstool house said...

Hi Harriet,I loved catching up on all of your latest goings on :o)
Wasnt Celestine so lucky this christmas,I love her mini mushrooms and jumper.
I can hardly wait to see the completed castle ,its going to be wonderful~lucky Celestine,her very own castle to live in.I think it would make a wonderful centrepiece for your wedding too.
Have a fun weekend,love juliex

Chloe said...

What a brilliant carousel! And that tiny necklace is amazing, I can't even imagine how anyone would make something so tiny >.<

I look forward to seeing how the castle progresses :) I love miniature model buildings and things like that. Saying that has just reminded me that I went to a brilliant little garden railway in Wales a couple of years ago, I think it might've been a bit small for Celestine but it was brilliant :D It's here if you wanted to take a look at the website :) http://www.llechfan-garden-railway.org/

goudenregen said...

Looking forward to see the interior of the castle grow. By the way my mother once knitted a little sweater for my Barby on sewing needles. It is very fine, I think she used wool that you use for darning socks (do I say that right?) Lovely stuff on your blog, so much to see.

Stephanie said...

Love the carousel, the castle and Celestine's Christmas presents!

Vicky Lovejoy said...

Lucky Celestine!! All those Christmas presents are adorable and I love the carousel!!
I'm so excited about the castle, I just know it will be magical!!
Hugs ♥ Vicky ♥

Tammie Lee said...

pumpkin fettuccini sounds wonderful!

Celestine is one lucky lady!

so wonderful to have a peak at the art you have been up to.

life looks good!