Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Craft Club and Skiing!

Since January I have been running an after school craft club for children at a nearby school.  I have been teaching them how to make 3d illustrations!  It's been great and I am really proud of what they have achieved.  Here are just a few of their finished pieces:


That's supposed to be me by the way (above) in the stripy top and glasses!  

I have absolutely loved seeing all the different ideas the children have had. A lot of them did stick with making bedrooms but a few of them branched out and made other rooms/scenes. 

I am hoping I will be able to run another load of sessions next term- we will see!

In other news, last week I went skiing in France (Montgenevre- on the border- only a 20 minute walk from Italy) with my family and Henry.  If I'm honest I was a little dubious as I am not a very sporty person and not a HUGE fan of skiing (I can take it or leave it) but the whole holiday was brilliant! We had a very nice skiing instructor and I found myself really enjoying the lessons.  Also we stayed in a chalet with a couple of other families (who we didn't know)  They turned out to be very nice and interesting and we had a really fun and funny time with them. (and now I definitely like skiing!)

Henry and I wore matching ski suits that we borrowed from his Dad and friend.  We were easy to spot!

We also ate a lot of nice food including a lot of cheese (well, we were in France!) pizza, burgers hot chocolate etc... and then skied it all off again!  We were told by our rep that up in the mountain there was a restaurant where we could get hot chocolate 'so thick you can stand a spoon up in it.'  On the last day, even though it was blizzarding and freezing, Henry and I went in search of this chocolate. It didn't disappoint. It seemed to be literally a cup of melted chocolate. It was yum. I can't testify to the fact that my spoon stood up in it though.


We went on lots of chair lifts and a cable car which were fun.  Henry and I walked to Italy and looked at the multicoloured pasta shapes.  We went to a restaurant called Caesers were I ate a baked Camembert and played chinese whispers with the other families. I read the last book in the Moomin series (I liked the bit where Mymble brushed her hair until she was like a ball of lightning) We played a very silly game of articulate. I did some work on my dummy book for Witch's Cat sequel. We listened to avalanches being set off by bombs.  We waded through about three feet of snow- I have never seen so much snow in my life!

I also found a new little friend in Montgenevre. Can't work out what animal he's supposed to be (I think some version of a devil/horned thing) but I like that. 


So all in all a very good week!

X

8 comments:

Plushpussycat said...

Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun! I love the children's 3d images. You're a great teacher, and they're very talented kids. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing your latest projects. xo Jennifer

Stephanie said...

The work by the kids were very creative. That chocolate in the cup looks soo yummy. You and Henry looked good in the red outfits. Sounds like a great time you had, lucky you to be in France and Italy.

Jeca Martinez said...

the 3d illustrations by the kids are so sweet! :)

Chloe said...

Ooh that chocolate looks delicious! And those little scenes are brilliant :)

Tammie Lee said...

I can see why your are proud of your students, their work is charming and fun!

your trip sounds wonderful and how fun that your uncertainty of skiing changed to like it much!

I was told to try that hot chocolate in Italy also. My sister lives there, so there will be a next time to try it ;-)

Eliana said...

Adorei as cenas em 3D, elas são muito divertidas!
Fantásticas fotos dos esquis sobre a neve.
O pequenino 'monstro' é adorável! ;)

Sharon Souter said...

The craft club idea is brilliant - you really bring the artist out in all your pupils! I love their illustrations.
Your skiing holiday looks a lot of fun - something to look forward to again!

Steve Turner said...

Its a horny devil called Lucifer, that fluffy thing! (but you knew that). Wow, you lucky thing, the skiing looked fun - wish I was there too!