Friday, 3 May 2013

Recently...

From top to bottom: Celestine's new sun hat // walking on Pegsdon Hills // blossom buds in the garden // trying out my new boat in a stream // castle progress.

On Wednesday I went to see my friend Henrietta in Cambridge. We popped into the Fitzwilliam museum to have a look at the Quentin Blake exhibition which is on at the moment.  It was smaller than I thought it was going to be but it was nice to see some of his original artworks.  There were also some of his paints and artist tools on display:


After we had lunch we paid a visit to the Haunted Bookshop.  I love this place.  If you havn't been there before it's a tiny little shop down an alley way absolutely stuffed with vintage children's books.  We went in and had a browse and I discovered the most beautiful perfect book that I fell in love with. It was just a small paperback book tied with string about the adventures of a little wooden peg/dutch doll called Catharine Susan. Sadly though it was way too expensive for me to buy. I'm talking fifty quid here.  BUT I did manage to get some shots of the pictures on my phone whilst I was in there: (actually the last picture is courtesy of Google) 

What do you think? Had you heard of the Catharine Susan books before? They seem to be very rare.  I so hope I get to own a copy of this one some day!

X

9 comments:

Plushpussycat said...

Love your photos! Celestine always looks so adorable, and what a treat to see your boat and castle. I hope you get to have that book soon! xo Jennifer

Abby said...

Lovely pictures ! Célestine is a very lucky girl to live in such a beautiful castle !
Have a nice week-end !

Anna said...

Hi Harriet! I love Quentin Blake, I've read mostly Roald Dahl's books with his illustrations, and they are so brilliant! His lines are so free, that's something I like.

Tammie Lee said...

looks and sounds as though you had a wonderful time! a journey i would have enjoyed very much.

that is one adorable book you have shared!

Vicky Lovejoy said...

Celestine's new hat is gorgeous, I love your photos, they always make me smile!!! I can totally understand why you fell in love with that book, it's magical!! I hope you'll find a cheaper copy one day!! Hugs xxxx

Sharon Souter said...

A lovely summery post! Celestine's castle is wonderful and I love her polka dot dress.

Catherine Constance said...

Have just found you through Manon Popjes... love your artwork and now I'm a new fan... :)

A tale from toadstool house said...

Hi Harriet,lovely piccies.The castle is coming along beautifully. I ve not heard of that authour before but wow, great illustrations,its such a shame it was so expensive. I love Mabel lucie Attwell and would love to own one of her Boo Boo books,but they too sell for hundreds of pounds now :( So unless I win the lottery....
Celestine s latest outfit is fab too.
happy weekend lovely Xxx

flowerywallpaper said...

Ja, das Bilderbuch ist wunderbar. Aber ich sehe mir deine Sachen auch immer wieder gerne an. Liebe Grüsse aus Österreich.