Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Celestine at the Seaside


This was something I painted before we went to Cornwall but didn't get round to posting it. It's the first time I've painted a whole flat scene (as opposed to making it in 3d) for a while. The rocks need work and probably some other things but over all I was pretty pleased with it.  It is of course of Celestine, dipping her toes in a rock pool. You can tell I was REALLY looking forward to going on holiday!

Someone mentioned to me that it doesn't look like Celestine is a miniature person in this picture and I suppose it doesn't really.  But just so you know- she is supposed to be tiny! Need to find a way of making it look like a very very small rockpool next time. Maybe some big shells and limpets and mussels would help the situation...


One of Celestine's favourite things about the seaside is being able to swim and boat in all the small rockpools. It must be so much fun to be a tiny person!

edit: (I realised Celestines nose looked a tiny bit too large and blobby so I have given her a digital nosejob!) 

 edit 2: (eyes. hmm)



7 comments:

Jane Chérie said...

Your painting is beautiful and I do love Celestine's bathing suit against the rocky grey/black background. Lovely composition!

Retro Rott said...

I have always felt, that beside the fact she's so tiny, Celestine has some kind of magical powers...

Retro Rott said...

I have always felt that beside the fact she's so tiny, Celestine also has some kind of magical powers... :)

Victoria Stitch said...

you're right! :)

Erin K said...

This is beautiful! I dunno, I think the rocks look just fine and it really makes Celestine pop out with the contrast of the brilliant red. (which really suits her! <3)

I would love to be able to boat around in a small rock pool, sounds like pure bliss! <3

Tammie Lee said...

this is so cute. I think your rocks and water/ocean are wonderfully done!

Plushpussycat said...

Great colors and composition! I love Celestine! So cool! xo Jennifer