Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Little Dinosaurs

I mentioned before that I had been doing lots of work for a story idea I had involving my little dino kid characters.  I have no idea whether this story idea is going to go down well with the editor or whether it will be the story I end up using for the dino characters but it has been good to practice my flat drawings anyway! I have been working in 3d for so long now that I really don't feel I have much of a flat drawing style anymore. It's something I REALLY need to work on this year.  It's very important to me (and my career!) that I am able to draw and paint flat pictures. 

With that said, here are my very very first attempts at drawing flat scenes in a long while. (I know there is lots of room for improvement!)




Also excuse the crinkly paper in some of them. I was only using my sketchbook to practice in. Sort of regretting that now but never mind.

I plan to do lots and lots more practicing of flat pictures! It's very important to me. I hate feeling so under confident with painting them.

the kitchen scene took me the longest. Seriously I was working on it for about 3 days. and a lot of that time was spent staring at it wondering how to do the lighting. You don't have to think about lighting and depth when you make things in 3d! 



These paintings are all based on my childhood holiday place. In fact all the backgrounds are painted from photos (apart from the kitchen)  

Can you guess which part of the world these paintings are based on?

4 comments:

Polly said...

I am guessing Wales?

Plushpussycat said...

Remind me of some scenes from the movie The Shipping News, in Newfoundland. I like what you've done so far. Really fun! xo Jennifer

Stephanie said...

No idea but they are all splendid.

Jane Chérie said...

I think on the contrary that your drawings are superb! I love them very much and the scenery is so enchanting. I don't know where it could be but maybe a town by the England coast?