Thursday, 24 July 2014

I am a Witch's Cat cover

I thought I would show you the process behind creating the cover for 'I am a Witch's Cat.'


It was a long process. From my short time working as an illustrator I have learned that covers always take the longest. I think I have done a total of six covers so far and they always seem to be the most tricky to get right.

So the idea behind this cover was to have some sort of pumpkin field with little Witch's Cat frolicking around in it. Initially the idea was to have it as a daytime scene but you will see that changes through out the process. 

It started out with a sketch...

...and the sketch was tweaked until it was right. The line of washing was removed and so was the tree and green house.


Then I started to build the image in 3d. I began by drawing all the pumpkins.

And then painting them.


Then I made the base from a sheet of cardboard covered in crinkled tissue paper.

And painted it to give it texture.

Then it was time to arrange the pumpkins and character on the base.
 
And put some vines in between the pumpkins.


Then I painted the sky and took some shots!


The clouds looked too solid and the pumpkins at the front and back looked too out of focus. It definitely wasn't right at this point.

Tried it with a different background but there was still something missing. The editor asked if the pumpkins could be 3d rather than standing cardboard so I went back and made some 3d ones. 

Things started to turn around when I added some sparkle to the pumpkins. I suddenly began to feel more inspired about the cover and began to see it was looking much better.

But during the time I was sparkling up the pumpkins I had another idea and I wanted to try it out. What if instead of daytime it was night time and the title was surrounded by a big round moon? I tried it out.

I had to use about three (or maybe even four) lamps behind the moon to fully light it as it was so big! All the pinprick stars had to be lit too.

I liked the result. Luckily the editor did too but there were still a few changes to be made like lighting the moon up more and making the lighting more dramatic.

But we went with it!

And this as you know, is the final result:


It took a long time to get this cover right but I'm so glad I persevered with it. I am really pleased with how it turned out in the end.

7 comments:

Plushpussycat said...

This post is fascinating. I loved watching your process, including following your hunches and intuitions. The result is so worth all of the time and effort you put into it. Congratulations! xo Jennifer

Anne said...

That is a labour of love, and so interesting, thank you for sharing Harriet!!! Congratulations, the book will be a great success!!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing the process of getting to the final draft cover for your book.

Jane Chérie said...

It's amazing to see how you have created that cover!!! So much detailed work! I have written about your fanstastic book on in my blog post today :D I hope it will be a very successful book and hopefully there will be a second one!

Chloe Liu said...

Hi Harriet!

I am very impressed by your work. I love your creative ideas and handmade paper miniatures. I will go back and read more of your posts.

Thanks for sharing the fun!

Cestina said...

I've just come across your blog whilst searching for images of 3D books (to link to my blog)and am enchanted by it. I much look forward to exploring it, and your world, further when I have got my own blogpost out of the way!

The pumpkins are brilliant; such attention to detail is simply wonderful.

Hannah said...

I just found your blog through Jane Chérie =) I love this book cover! Really great work!!
Hannah