Sunday, 23 November 2014

the creative process

The creative process is a funny thing. For example, this weekend I had an idea for a new picture book. Contrary to the pictures accompanying this post, it has nothing to do with penguins! But the idea was led there by penguins.

It started when I bought a pair of penguin socks in New Look. I really really loved the little ice skating penguin on the socks so much that I bought three pairs.  Look how adorable he is!


Then, on Friday, I was making mini Christmas cards with Celestine. We made the usual, Christmas tree ones, reindeer ones snowman ones... and then I remembered my socks and thought 'penguins!'


I just loved the design of the little penguin so much that I painted some bigger ones in my sketchbook afterwards. And I though 'hmm,' this little penguin would make a good little character- though of course it was still a blatent copy of the sock penguin at this point.

Then, led by that thought another thought came and I developed the penguin into another character- still a bird but not a penguin. And I LOVED my new little character (which I am not going to show on here just yet) and a story idea for her popped into my head.  And so a new book idea was born.

And I just thought how interesting the creative process is. You never know where it's going to take you. You can end up with something completely different and surprising from what you started with.

5 comments:

miniacollection said...

It's always fascinating to learn how a person creates a new character or story.
Geneviève

Plushpussycat said...

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing! xo Jennifer

Stephanie said...

I always wondered one gets ideas to create something new.

Capucine said...

I love this post and this idea of a book with your new "bird character!"
Can not wait to see more!
Have a beautiful week Harriet.
Agnès

Britta Hubbard said...

Harriet, your art is amazing. We live in Ketchum, Idaho USA and checked out I am a Witch's Cat from our local library. We liked your miniatures so much we searched you and found your blog - super amazing. We (my sons age 9 and 6) think Celestine is awesome!!!!! Thank you for sharing your creative genius with us! -Britta Hubbard (rcbwithbritta.blogspot.com)