Friday, 26 June 2015

Happy Halloween Witch's Cat Cover!

Last year I showed you the process I went through to create the cover for I Am a Witch's Cat. This year I am going to show you the process behind Happy Halloween Witch's Cat. (Out in the US 21st July by the way! And now going to be out in the UK as well 27th August!!!)

It all started with some VERY rough sketches.

This didn't quite cut it but did get used for the back cover in the end!

The one on the top left (below) was the chosen one:
Then I did a slightly more detailed sketch but still pretty rough


And then I decided to mock it up in 3d to check it was all going to work and fit in the frame:

It did, so I moved onto colour. 

This one is actually my favourite one. Personally I really like the darkness and the lighting in it, I think it looks cosy and I like more dramatic lighting. However I think the colours were too similar to the first book, or maybe the sky was too plain, I can't remember, but I was asked to do a different more evening-y sky rather than night time to make it look very different from the first book and also brighter.


I went a bit overboard to be honest, trying to make it different and ended up with this bright garish sunset sky. Which unsurprisingly did not make the final cover! Also you'll notice I was asked to put a witch's hat on the mum character.


So then I toned it down a bit. Made a less dramatic sky with a smaller setting sun, but this one looked like Witch's Cat had a halo and it still didn't quite have that punch. 

Here's what the whole set looked like zoomed out:

And a detail:

So THEN it was decided that maybe a big round moon would look good but in a different colour to the one on the first book which was white. This one was to be a big yellow moon. This is what the set looked like with the lighting switched off (Lighting adds so much!). I put a bright yellow sheet of paper behind the moon so that when the lamp behind it was turned on it shone a nice yellow colour.

 Here's what it looked like once the lights were turned on. I have to admit I really loved having the light shining through the front door and out of the hallway but I was asked to not light that bit up so as not to distract from the main character in the front and also to remove the mum character from the doorway. I was actually a bit sad to not have the hallway all lit up but oh well. It made sense why not. 

 And so there we have it. The final image for Happy Halloween Witch's Cat!







5 comments:

Jess said...

I love the lighting, it's so atmospheric and I loved the hall light too but maybe you could use that idea for a future project? The details are gorgeous, I love the stars on the little boy, it all works so well! It's lovely to see your amazing talents going out into the world for everyone to enjoy!
Jess x

Stephanie said...

Beautiful art work. Love the vibrant colors you used and your wonderful illustrations.

Plushpussycat said...

It's really interesting to see your process, Harriet, and the final result is truly stunning. Thanks for sharing. xo Jennifer

carolle said...

I have been an admirer of your work since seeing your university show (NUA). Your paintings were breathtaking and still are. All that detail so fabulous. Have followed your blog since then and been inspired by your immense progress and obvious passion for designing characters and drawing. I was enchanted to see your engagement then wedding and your terrific books. Truly inspiring. Best wishes from carolle De F

Tammie Lee said...

this looks entirely charming ~
congratulations!