Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Meet Topaz!

If you follow my blog then you'll know all about Celestine. Celestine is my little, miniature character who I like to photograph in various places, especially when I go on holiday. I made her over three years ago now and she has been to a lot of places! Dubai, Bruges, Cornwall, Scotland, Turkey to name a few.

I have often throughout my life, felt the need for a little character/mascot to take around with me/put my energies into. I have no idea why! In a weird way it is actually a kind of therapy for me. It keeps me sane.

Anyway, so I have had Celestine for a long time now and she has become incredibly precious to me. So precious that I have stopped wanting to take her out in case I lose her. I have stopped wanting to bend her into different position for photos in case her limbs break. I have stopped feeling that really nice freedom I had at the beginning with her. Which is a shame. And not so good for the creativity.

So, I thought it was about time that I made a new one. A friend for Celestine. One that I could be free with again without worrying so much that I am going to damage her all the time. I have briefly tried to make various friends for Celestine in the past but they never worked out. Recently I thought I would have another shot at it. I was hoping that this time I would finally be able to make a friend for Celestine that I would be happy with. I was hoping that it would only take me a couple of days.

Haha.

It ended up taking me almost two weeks! It was the face you see. And the head. I just find them so hard to make. I can still see loads of imperfections in this one but I have decided that she is the best I can do for the moment. Maybe in the future I will try and make another one but not for a while as it was quite stressful!

I think I am pretty happy with this one.

She is called Topaz and her birthday is the 16th February. She wears hats all the time, bobble hats and beanies. She loves the countryside with a passion. She loves to wander and explore. She is much more adventurous than Celestine. Kind of like Snufkin maybe...


She also had a bit of a rough start in life. Firstly, while I was making her head, I accidentally dropped it in my glass of water which was really stupid of me. I put it out to dry on the windowsill with the window a little bit open. Then the window cleaner came to clean our windows. I forgot I had put Topaz's head on the windowsill and discovered it a few minutes later absolutely squashed and sodden because the window cleaner had pushed the window shut with his long brush. Luckily the head was save-able but still. Rough start I say. Poor Topaz.

She is called Topaz for these reasons:

1 - She has green hair and whilst I know the stone topaz can come in lots of different colours I always imagine it to be green. 

2 - There is a character called Topaz in the book 'I Capture the Castle' who is a free spirited, artistic  character and she was always my favourite. 'I Capture the Castle' is an amazing book by the way if you haven't read it. it's also really nice to listen to on audiobook. 

3 - In the book 'I Capture the Castle,' they dye all their clothes sea green in an attempt to rejuvenate their old clothes as they are very poor. This is probably why I have always associated the name Topaz with the colour green actually.

Sidenote - I sometimes suggest to Henry that we should call our future child Topaz if we ever have one but he is very disparaging of the name as he used to have a cat called Topaz. He says it's a cats name. I disagree. I love it.


And what about Celestine?? Well, I guess Celestine is semi retiring. She is going to stay safe in her castle for the time being and I am going to continue to work on the castle so that she has a beautiful home to live in. So it's not like she will disappear. She will always be in the castle so I can see her whenever I want (and I'll probably photograph her occasionally) but it will be Topaz who comes on the adventures now. That's the plan anyway. We'll see how it all goes. It's always good to change things up once in a while.
X

8 comments:

Lady Mimosa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

You had a great run with Celestine. It was enjoyable watching what you did with her over the years. Looking forward to your next creation.

miniacollection said...

I'm very glad to meet Topaz, I love her hat and jumper. I hope Célestine will be happy to have a friend and won't be too jealous if Topaz travels more than her now.
Geneviève

Retro Rott said...

Topaz is adorable. You must be very patient person to make this little person.

But...It feels like You don't love her as much as You love Celestine? Or is she just so new (young) and it just needs time ?

Victoria Stitch said...

I think it just needs a bit of time! I am aready starting to love her a lot though :)

Jackie M said...

Hi Harriet, I've so enjoyed all your recent posts and am sorry I haven't commented before to say so. I loved seeing Celestine's Christmas gifts, she is so lucky. Isadora Moon is so cute, congratulations on having your books published, that's brilliant and glittery covers too, so pretty! Topaz is adorable, you are so talented and I think she looks great fun. I think Celestine will enjoy relaxing in her castle, surrounded by all her pretty things! I agree, I Capture The Castle is a brilliant book and Topaz is a very pretty name! May I ask if you make all the tiny clothes for the girls yourself? They are so gorgeous and sweet!

Love Jackie x

Victoria Stitch said...

Hi Jackie, thanks so much for your lovely comment. Yes I do make most of the clothes myself. There's a couple of tiny jumpers that someone else knitted (the rainbow ones) but other than that they are made by me :)

Jackie M said...

Thanks so much for your reply! Wow, I think you are so amazingly talented to make such stunning and tiny clothes, they are just perfect! xx